What are the site criteria?
The selection of our sites is paramount to the success of the business. Our criteria demand a high street venue with good visibility, into and out of the store, to passing trade. In addition the site must be at street level with good proximity to convenient parking. The size requirements vary between 300m2 and 450m2 (square meters) with an additional 80m² – 120m² outside seating. Our sites must send one message out – 'welcome friend, come in and join us'.
What sites are available?
One of the factors attributing to the success of News Cafe has been the marriage of the operator to the right site. Although limited sites are available, our team works hard to secure the best site for News Cafe Franchisees. We will entertain proposals for new sites, provided the site meets the basic criteria, the rental is reasonable and it is a great News Cafe site.
Do I need restaurant experience?
Yes! Our requirements are not only for restaurant or culinary experience but also for strong management and business experience. It is a common misconception that by trading under the name News Cafe your business will do well. Our brand is about people and it requires you to give it personality. We need people with passion, drive and commitment. Operating a News Cafe may seem glamorous but it involves hard work and long hours from people that are self-motivated achievers… are you one of those people?
If so, and you're still excited about the prospect of owning a News Cafe, please feel free to contact our Franchising team to set up a mutually convenient appointment.
Other Things I Should Know
There are 3 main criteria to be met. They are the following:
- Owner Operator
- Operator of the store has to be at least a 25% shareholder in the business.
- Ensure that you have the required finance as stipulated above.
- These will be agreed upon by yourself as well as Fournews Developments.
R2 500 000 of these funds must be unencumbered funds.
Unencumbered: Property that is not subject to any creditor claims or liens.
The process for becoming a Franchisee
- If approved then the Franchisor will set up a meeting with the Franchisee.
- At the meeting the Franchisor will give Franchisee Agreements and Disclosure documents.
- Set up meetings with Landlords to discuss Leases of various stores.
- Sign Franchise Agreement (must have received Disclosure documents 14 days prior to this).
- Pay sign up fee.
- Pay design fee and start designing.
- Approve design and layout (2/3 weeks after payment of design fee).
- Get quotes for building of store (1 week after approval of design fee).
- Approve quotes and pay deposits.
- Start building store.
- Franchisor and Franchisee will set up training schedules for all staff.
- Training takes place.
- Opening of store once all training, building and payments are complete.
Return the application forms to:
or fax to + 27 11 452 8222